The entry level / intermediate market in mandolins has definitely heated up in recent years. Previously you simply could not get anything but a pressed solid top and laminate back & sides instrument in the under $600.00 market but all of that has changed in recent years.
A few years ago we started seeing all solid, true carved instruments being issued in price points that were unheard of … albeit with varying & inconsistent sonic results. Well if these KM-505 mandolins are any indication of what is to come, the future definitely looks bright. I can categorically say that these mandolins sound as good as instruments we were selling for three times the price a couple of years ago. These are very VERY impressive sounding mandolins at an unbelievable price!!!
* 1 3/32″ wide bone nut
* bound ebony fingerboard with radius
* bound peghead with “Mountain Rose” inlay
* gold plated engraved Gotoh tuners
* suspended fingerboard extension
* one piece maple neck with dovetail joint at 15th fret
* 13 3/4″ scale length
* solid spruce top is true carved & graduated
* tone bars
* solid flamed maple back is true carved & graduated
* ebony Loar-style bridge with thumbwheels
* gold plated tailpiece with leather insert
* thin nitro lacquer finish
* with case