Out of all of the acoustic guitar builders who have added solidbody electric guitars to their line in recent years, Jean Larrivee has to be the most experienced. For seven years in the ’80s, Jean switched production largely to solidbody electrics and produced a very respected line that included the bolt-on-neck LS & LT series, as well as a very well received neck-thru RS series that culminated in the RS-4 with carved highly flamed maple tops! Even though the shop had a lot of fun creating sometimes wild new body styles and graphic finishes, these were very serious musical instruments that displayed all of the attention to detail that has distinguished Jean’s work throughout his long career.
Around four years ago, Jean got the bug again to produce a premier quality solidbody and has been discreetly gathering tonewoods, testing electronics and making prototypes until he has come up with his ultimate electric guitar … the new RS-4 model!
As you would have guessed, Jean has gone top-notch all the way with this classy new instrument … with its long neck tenon, extra thick carved flamed maple top, deep contoured true tropical mahogany body, sterling silver peghead border, grained ivoroid binding and deluxe V-block fingerboard inlays!
If there was one lesson that Larrivee learned from his original production run of electrics, it was to use non-proprietary hardware & electronics that are easy to service anywhere in the world for working musicians who are on tour. To this end, Jean has tested literally hundreds of pickup, bridge, tailpiece & wiring combinations … and ended up with a very impressive electronic harness … the heart of which is the handmade Jason Lollar Imperial pickups controlled by CTS long-shaft 500k pots with hand rolled Lux Bumblebee capacitors!
Sorry folks, but it just doesn’t get any better than this … 8.05 pounds of resonant electric guitar that tucks in tight to your body, with a comfortable rib contour, fast-feeling neck, premium hardware and to-die-for electronics. Why am I not surprised that once again Jean Larrivee has entered the solidbody electric market with such a strong contender!
* extra thick Canadian Flamed Maple carved top
* 1-piece South American Mahogany (Genuine Mahogany)
* bound Indian Rosewood fingerboard from Cochin
* Extra Long Mortis & Tenon neck joint
* Sterling Silver peghead border
* Mother of Pearl peghead logo inlay
* Ivoroid fingerboard binding w/Black Side Dots
* Mother-of-Pearl & Abalone V-Block position markers
* Ivoroid with Multi-Strip Purfling top binding
* Amber “Speed Knobs”
* Textured Black control cavity covers
* Nickel & Chrome hardware
* Schaller M6 Tuners (Made in Germany)
* Jason Lollar Imperials Standard Wind in Nickel, 4-Conductor (Made in USA)
* Tonepros bridge & tailpiece
* Switchcraft Short Toggle Switch (Made in USA)
* Switchcraft 1/4″ Mono Jack w/ Short Thread (Made in USA)
* CTS Long Shaft 500k Audio Pots
* Luxe Bumblebee Paper-in-oil (PIO) capacitors (Made in USA)
* Schaller Strap Locks (Made in Germany)
* Single Action Coated Steel adjustable truss rod
* Mini Spoke-Nut design on Final Fret (Made in USA)
* Custom Fit Wooden Case with Blue Velvet Lining (Made in Canada)
Scale Length: 25.5” or 650mm
Upper Bout: 9.875″
Lower Bout: 13″
Body Thickness at Edge: 1.5″
Overall Length: 38.75″
Nut Width: 1 & 11/16th” or 43mm
Weight: Approximately 8 lbs.
Wiring Style: Modern Style w/ Independent Volumes
Wiring: Multi Conductor Foil Shielded
Treble Bypass Circuit: Yes, Neck pickup only
Capacitors Values: 0.022UF Bridge, 0.015 Neck
Capacitor Type: Hand Rolled, Paper in Oil
String Ground: Grounded to Tail Stop-Piece
Shielding: Painted Body Cavities (Ceramic Conductive paint)