Sometimes simplicity really is the best way to go. The original 1976 Stingray from Ernie Ball Music Man has found a soft spot in many players hearts, thanks to its straightforward, rock-solid design and versatility.
With the new Stingray Classic, Music Man has taken a tried and true design, and beefed it up with a few modern upgrades for good measure. The result is a bass that feels instantly familiar in all the right ways. The flame maple neck is just thick enough to feel solid, yet smooth and comfortable. The fingerboard is carved to a 7.5″ radius, giving the Stingray Classic a great vintage feel, while the high profile frets keep the bass sounding clean and clear. The Music Man humbucker runs through an active preamp with simple ‘bass’ and ‘treble’ controls, making the instrument far more versatile than I would ever expect a single pickup bass to be.
Like everything Music Man builds, the hardware and components are all top notch. The barrel bridge saddles are substantial feeling and provide a nice, deep sustain. The adjustable string mutes are a nice option as well, allowing the player to do anything from taking off a little high end zing, all the way to a full on palm-muted effect. The 6-bolt neck joint is rock solid, with a perfect fit and absolutely no shifting. The slab ash body is dense enough to resonate, but light weight enough to feel comfortable.
Once again, Music Man has delivered what working musicians need; a workhorse of a bass that looks, feels, and sounds great, without breaking the bank.
- Nevin Douglas
* Size:13-1/2″ wide, 1-5/8″ thick, 44-7/8″ long
* Weight:10lbs, 4 oz (4.65 kg) – varies slightly
* Body Wood:AshBody
* Finish: High gloss polyester
* Body Colors:Standard Classic Colors
* Bridge:Music Man® chrome plated, hardened steel bridge plate with “Classic” stainless steel saddles and adjustable mute pads
* Scale Length:34″ (86.4 cm)
* Neck Radius:7.5″ (19.1 cm)
* Frets: – High profile, narrow width
* Neck Width:1-5/8″ (41.3 mm) at nut 2-1/2″ (63.5 mm) at last fret
* Neck Wood: Choice of birdseye or flame maple neck
* Fingerboard: Fretted – maple or rosewood
* Neck Finish: High-gloss finish
* Neck Colors: Natural aged yellow finish
* Tuning Machines: Schaller BM, with tapered string posts
* Truss Rod: Adjustable – no component or string removal
* Neck Attachment: 6 bolts – perfect alignment with no shifting
* Controls:Single Pickup, 2-band active preamp; vol, treble, bass
* Pickups: Standard – Music Man® humbucking with Alnico magnets